Thirsty Flower - Experiment
Plants need to eat and drink in order to stay alive, just like people do. That is why you put flowers in a vase with water. But how does the water reach the flowers?
- white tulip
- pair of scissors
- 2 drinking glasses
- 2 colors of liquid food dye
- 15 minutes preparation time
- 5 minutes after two hours
Step by step
- Step 1. make a cut of 12 cm in the stem of the tulip, from the bottom up
- Step 2. poor a little layer of one color of food dye in a glass
- Step 3. poor a little layer of food of the other color of food dye in the other glass
- Step 4. fill the rest of the glasses with water
- Question 1. What do you think that will happen when you put the tulip in the two glasses?
- Step 5. put each end of the stem in one of the two glasses
- Step 6. leave the glasses with the tulip in day light
- Step 7. wait two hours
- Question 2. What has happened after these two hours?
- Question 3. Why do you think this is?